Lunes, Hulyo 4, 2016

On addiction...



After many months of being absent at “The Feast” in PICC, I finally went yesterday with a good friend of mine.  At first, I was a bit disappointed to know that Bro. Bo is currently in Australia but will be back next Sunday in time for his 50th birthday. 

Despite Bro. Bo’s absence, I still felt glad, as I always do, that I woke up early to attend the mass and join the feast afterwards.It’s always refreshing and insightful to hear people talk about things that we fail to remember at times.   It allowed me to step back and reflect again on my life and what I want to do with it. 


For starters, the homily during mass was very good, it was the first time I heard Fr. Bob celebrate the Mass.  He spoke about ways to be a good disciple of Christ and how a simple act of kindness can make a big impact on other people’s lives. 

The ambiance has not changed at all.  Except for a minor layout change, I am still impressed about the ministry servants, always very courteous and pleasant.  The music group with two choirs, a band and a mini-orchestra which really gave an either meditative or festive mood.  The worship leader who welcomed everybody and initiated the introductory prayer.  A lively audience who prayed and sang with such passion and enthusiasm.  And most especially, Mr. Alvin Barcelona who gave an inspiring and moving talk where you can learn a thing or two.  This talk brings me to my topic for today – addictions. 

In a recent US study, there are top ten American addictions in 2015 – coffee, nicotine, drugs, alcohol, gambling, anger (yes, anger!), food, gadgets, sex and lastly, work.  I am particularly guilty about work because I used to indulge myself in doing extraordinary tasks so I can feel a sense of fulfillment.  What struck me the most was his statement that typically addictions are due to hunger for love.  It’s because I have a good friend who used to be addicted to marijuana and had to undergo a program in order to rehabilitate himself.  He said he got too bored and resorted to substance abuse.  I wasn’t sure if it’s boredom for him, I thought then that it was probably depression, but I believed him nevertheless.  Anyway, when he was in the program, he talked to me about PTSD (he worked for the US army) and why his addiction was linked to it.  He apologized for things he was sorry for.  A few months after, I was glad that he already graduated from the program and lived again an ordinary life.  Just a couple of days back, a common friend informed me that he’s in it again.  I tried to contact him but he’s unreachable. 

Sometimes, I wonder if it’s because he’s single at 39 with a newfound freedom.  He lived by himself after the program since he wanted to be independent.  I know that he has a loving family, his ever-reliable support system.  His parents even belong to Couples for Christ, where his Dad is currently the chapter head.  I’ve witnessed how they tried to help him out in his many obstacles in life.  And yet, here he is again, doing things he promised not to do anymore. 

I would’ve wanted to help him out but I believe that it should start with himself. Mistakes happen and all struggles end, but one should be willing to let go of the past and build a new future.  Life is short and it should be lived…not wasted…

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento